Extension museum de Fundatie Zwolle
Architect: Bierman Henket Architects
Commissioned by: Zwolle town council
Contractor: BAM Utiliteitsbouw
Product: three-dimensionally shaped glazed tiles
In 2011, Royal Tichelaar Makkum was asked to develop and produce ceramic cladding for an extension of unusual design for the Museum de Fundatie. This former courthouse, which dates back to 1840, was too small to offer adequate space for the exhibitions, museum collections and visitors. The design for the extension by architect Hubert-Jan Henket forms a sharp contrast with the museum's neoclassical building. At the same time, the fluid form of this three-dimensional ellipsoid, also called 'The Eye', refers to the organic design of the park by the landscape architect J.D. Zocher at the rear of the building.